Q-band (40.5 – 41.0 GHz)

• It is not that long ago, when a new Ka band section for the frequency range 31.8-32.3 GHz was updated on our web sites. Right, there hasn`t been any information uploaded yet, but time to do this will come sooner or later and people such as s-band, feedsat, Peon, maybe me or somebody else will write the history once again. I`m definitely sure about it.

I and Peon talk a lot and very often about new trends and technology in satellite business even it`s our hobby only. That`s not `cause we don`t wanna stay behind, but also we can learn a thing or two that will help us to improve the parts/reception we have now or we dream to reach at some point in the future.

Progress can not be stopped, so right now I would like to introduce you to the different chunk of satellite band. The new and unknown frequency range of Q-band (40.5 – 41.0 GHz), because with the arrival of 5G and preparation for 6G, the satellite industry will move from Ku and Ka band towards Q-band over the next decade.

Well, this band is not that new to satellite reception, but the first professional LNB was introduced only in May 2019 by Norsat, model Norsat Q1000H. First shipments of the new LNB was scheduled for end of Q3 2019.
    People say, if there`s a problem there`s a solution, so when Norsat started producing pro grade Q band LNBs, there must be some satellites capable of transmitting in this band out there, too.
    Yes guys, they are out there and they have been in the space for some time.
    Eutelsat 65 West A @ 65W launched in 03/2016 or Alphasat (aka Inmarsat-4A F4) @ 25E launched in 07/2013 satellites are only a few of those to carry the Q/V band payload.

Here is a brief information about Norsat Q1000H:

Frequency Band - 40.5 - 41.0 (GHz)
    L.O. Frequency: 39.55 (GHz)
    L.O. Stability: ± 50 KHz
    Noise Figure: 3 dB
    Waveguide: WR22 (Ku - WR75, Ka - WR42, C - WR229, X - WR-112)
    Current: 1000 mA max (WOW!!!) :43:
    Weight: 700 g

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks, sato, that's very interesting. I'd expect something much wider than 500MHz. From their web site it looks more like a feasibility study as they don't mention a specific application. http://www.norsat.com/q-band-lnb/

Alphasat is on 39.402GHz and has been received by a few people. It is reasonably strong. https://uhf-satcom.com/blog/39-4ghz-converter-for-alphasat

There are a few people who can get the 32GHz DSN stuff but my system is not good enough to get the craft out there at the moment. Maybe when Hayabusa 2 get closer to home, I'll hear something.

I found this https://thalesgroup.com/sites/…t/rfpasiva-ed15_eng_2.pdf
    Which has a picture of the Q band filters from Blagovest (14L?). Has anyone seen frequency allocations for that?

1.2m Prodelin 3122 az-el with one of:
    S: Helical feed, 0.8dB NF LNA, X: 1.2dB NF LNA, conical feed,
    Ku 12-18GHz: corrugated conical feed, 1.5dB NF LNA, Ku (Standard): SMW Q-PLL type C, Prodelin feed. Ku (Extended): 11.3GHz LO SMW & Prodelin Feed Ka: Gilat ex-ODU PLLs Gilat feeds, Ka 18-26.5GHz: Patriot feed, home made 4dB NF LNA, Ka DSN: Corrugated conical feed, home made 3dB NF Down-Converter

1.5m IRTE, Polar mount with Octagon OSLO mod. C120, IRTE feed
    40km East of London, UK

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von s-band ()

• I`m looking forward to reading your reports about 32GHz DNS band when time allows you to do so.
    As far as I know Hayabusa 2 is heading home and they are expecting its arrival in December 2020.

Anyway, the following link is a bit off topic, but it may help some of us to find out a few more positions when a beacon/telemetry peak is found on the spectrum. Or, some of us can improve the site by sending their own findings.

http://frequencyplansatellites…pe-Africa-MiddleEast.html

Be independent and your TV screen will never be the same.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von sato ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here are some pictures of the set-up used for Alphasat on 39.402GHz.

It is part of an old experimental link RX head end, thanks to uhf-satcom. An external, 9.5GHz, GPSDO locked source is multiplied, in the harmonic mixer, to give a 38GHz LO. The noise figure is in the region of 12-14dB with a linear polarised feed on a 220mm Cassegrain dish. It had been stored in a dusty environment for a while and the LNA chip shows it. There have been problems with poor connections but repairs are difficult.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The LNA was in a bad state and gave up. The conductive epoxy, holding the LNA & de-coupling die, had not stuck to the aluminium base very well. All 3 die fell off when touched. I removed the remnants of the LNA, modified he board and fitted an Analog Devices HMC1040 LNA using a combination of silver paint and low melting point solder. It took a while to get it stable and needed some absorber over the new chip.

In the end, I got about 12dB better SNR on the Alphasat 39402MHz beacon.

1.2m Prodelin 3122 az-el with one of:
    S: Helical feed, 0.8dB NF LNA, X: 1.2dB NF LNA, conical feed,
    Ku 12-18GHz: corrugated conical feed, 1.5dB NF LNA, Ku (Standard): SMW Q-PLL type C, Prodelin feed. Ku (Extended): 11.3GHz LO SMW & Prodelin Feed Ka: Gilat ex-ODU PLLs Gilat feeds, Ka 18-26.5GHz: Patriot feed, home made 4dB NF LNA, Ka DSN: Corrugated conical feed, home made 3dB NF Down-Converter

1.5m IRTE, Polar mount with Octagon OSLO mod. C120, IRTE feed
    40km East of London, UK

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!