TDRS Craft

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks to hvdh for the .pdf in this post

/edit be qwer: Sorry LINK disappeared with changed forum software on 01.08.2020.

I have tried to find something from TDRS 6, 9, 12 & 13 but only listened on RHCP at the time (13-16GHz). As far as I know, there have been no reports of reception in Europe. The theory put forward is that the space-Earth beam is directed towards White Sands, USA.

The best chance of finding something may be on 13.775GHz for the TDRS to LEO link. The only time I have seen much activity, from the craft covering Europe, was around the time of the Dragon-ISS docking. The Space Network Now page shows real time activity on TDRS but doesn't give details of frequencies etc.

LEO to TDRS links from Dragon and ISS were spotted around the time of the docking on S band and shown here: Dragon & ISS

Attached is the TRDS frequency plan from an ITU document.

Bilder

1.2m Prodelin 3122 az-el with one of:
    S: Helical feed, 0.8dB NF LNA, X: 1.2dB NF LNA, conical feed,
    Ku 12-18GHz: corrugated conical feed, 1.5dB NF LNA, Ku (Standard): SMW Q-PLL type C, Prodelin feed. Ku (Extended): 11.3GHz LO SMW & Prodelin Feed Ka: Gilat ex-ODU PLLs Gilat feeds, Ka 18-26.5GHz: Patriot feed, home made 4dB NF LNA, Ka DSN: Corrugated conical feed, home made 3dB NF Down-Converter

1.5m IRTE, Polar mount with Octagon OSLO mod. C120, IRTE feed
    40km East of London, UK

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat

Original von s-band
    I have tried to find something from TDRS 6, 9, 12 & 13 but only listened on RHCP at the time (13-16GHz). As far as I know, there have been no reports of reception in Europe. The theory put forward is that the space-Earth beam is directed towards White Sands, USA.

I think linear pol. (both H and V) is used, according that old pdf I linked to.
    TDRS 13 at about 11.4°W is below horizon for White Sands, New Mexico.
    Then probably will downlink to Blossom Point, Maryland.
    Good luck! :126:

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat

Original von hvdh
    I think linear pol. (both H and V) is used, according that old pdf I linked to.
    TDRS 13 at about 11.4°W is below horizon for White Sands, New Mexico.
    Then probably will downlink to Blossom Point, Maryland.
    Good luck! :126:

I don't think we'll see anything unless it points our way. The main TDRS-Earth have 0.7deg beam width, from that document (as you say, that's linear). TDRS-LEO on 13.775 RH or LHCP is a long shot as it's got 0.27 deg beam width. However, there is a possibility if you're in line with the TDRS and the LEO or hope there are side lobes.

Apart from White Sands, I've only seen a TDRS connected to Australia but I don't look all day;-) I'm not convinced that the SN Now page shows everything reliably. DSN Now doesn't as they seem to lose data connections to the web servers.

Ku 12-18GHz: corrugated conical feed, 1.5dB NF LNA, Ku (Standard): SMW Q-PLL type C, Prodelin feed. Ku (Extended): 11.3GHz LO SMW & Prodelin Feed Ka: Gilat ex-ODU PLLs Gilat feeds, Ka 18-26.5GHz: Patriot feed, home made 4dB NF LNA, Ka DSN: Corrugated conical feed, home made 3dB NF Down-Converter

40km East of London, UK

• Offizieller Beitrag

...I´m not sure, but I get a peak at 13848 (V) with WR75 and 1.8m at position ~11.4°W (TDRS 13 with -0.6° incl. at scan time)?

Bilder

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat

Original von qwer
    ...I´m not sure, but I get a peak at 13848 (V) with WR75 and 1.8m at position ~11.4°W (TDRS 13 with -0.6° incl. at scan time)?

Can you track it? If not, it should be out of your beam now (18:15 UTC)

40km East of London, UK

• Offizieller Beitrag

I had this peak only a few minutes, not possible to track later on.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The lost pdf in the first post of this topic may have been this one?

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/cita…downloads/20080045426.pdf

Attached pdf here as well, just in case.

Also moved this topic from subforum "DX corner" to "Data>Extended Ku".

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!