Reception on standard Ku LNB outside its frequency range

• Offizieller Beitrag

Reception on standard Ku LNB outside its frequency range

The IQmonitor program allows you to receive signals outside the LNB frequency range

at the 3rd and even 5th harmonics of the PCI card local oscillator.

So for TBS 6983, reception is theoretically possible up to a frequency of 2.4 x 3 + 10.6 = 17.8 GHz,

but is practically limited by the frequency properties of transistors and microcircuits

Practically LNB Inverto Black Ultra is operable up to frequencies of the order of 13.5 - 14 GHz.

Need to try :25:

• Hello Strannik :3:

I think you might be are right :25:

this Extended ku-lnb (LOF 12.8 Ghz) can works with both ku-universal parameters and ku-circular LOF=12.8 ghz :125:

test @ 26°E where there is no transponder above 12.75 ghz ...I can see a reflection of the usual 26°E transponders

with the same SR but with wrong frequency number :88:

Either I don't know how to use these Extended-Ku -LNBs or there are some thing wrong with these BWEI LNBs :80:

I will tray with BWEI LOF 9Ghz & IBU in outside the LNB frequency range later

Best Regards :70:

flie.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This subject, image reception, and how it is avoided, is something that is discussed very little, and I always wondered about.

A universal Ku-band LNB has images from 8800...7800 MHz (low band), and 9500...8450 MHz (high band).

These ranges in X-band are used for various services (X-band satellite uplink, earth exploration satellite downlink, fixed & radiolocation (radar) services etc.

Why don't these interfere, is it enough that the dishes normally not point to these interference sources?

Or is the fact that the X-band wavelengths "don't fit" the short LNB waveguide, also causing much suppression?

So flie, I don't think something is wrong about your LNB.

Are the waveguide dimensions smaller than normal Ku-band? Or is it just a standard LNB with modified L.O.

• Offizieller Beitrag

strannik  stephan94 Interesting. At lower frequencies the STV6120 (TBS6983 RF chip) 'sees' things on the 3rd harmonic of the LO, as you say. I found the same problem when using a Sky Q LNB which is has full band coverage and a 10.4GHz LO(approx). High frequency signals appeared on 1/3 of their IF frequency and interfered with the wanted ones. e.g. a signal on 2100MHz had a spurious response at 700MHz. The spacing and width of these spurii is 1/3 that of the real signals. In order to use the Sky Q on the TBS tuner I had to put a 900MHz low pass filter in line to exclude fRX x 3 signals.

There may be some responses to the 3rd harmonic of the STV6210 higher up but I have not checked that. However, the chip includes a low pass filter after the LNA so I suspect that, even if the LNA will pass >2350MHz, the filter will not. Another unknown is the effect, if any, of the quadrature mixer. Looking at the block diagram it suggests that there is a multiplier in the LO chain. It may be a doubler to generate the 90 degree phase shift needed for the mixers. If so, that's another potential source of spurs.

flie I think both qwer and jaes have also seen high levels of image responses from their BWEI LNBs, possibly much worse than usual if the filters fitted are quite poor. As you say hvdh the standard LNB images fall outside crowded bands for geo satellites. I have seen very strong radar from both terrestrial and LEO satellites as well as downlinks form LEOs and other non-geo. That was only when pointing at the source so I think the chance of interference is normally very low unless you live near a terrestrial radar. WR75 cut off is about 7.9GHz.

I don't know about the Inverto as I don't have one but the best LNB I found for 13.5GHz is an SMW 12.25-12.75GHz, 11.3GHz LO one. The noise figure remains usable but the gain drops off a lot by 13.5GHz. An extra IF amplifier fixes it but a filter is needed to keep the signals below 12.5GHz from overloading the extra amplifier or the tuner. Here is a noise figure plot comparing 2 SMW LNBs:

The spike at 2260MHz (IF) is the fundamental of the LO getting into the IF (11300/5). THe WDL-E line shows only the high band response. There was about 0.3dB loss in the coax to waveguide transition which can be subtracted from the noise figure.

Here is the arrangement used with the 11.3GHz LO LNB to overcome the extra loss at the HF end:

The input is on the right and then right to left: DC power injector, high pass filter, 3GHz amplifier, DC block

1.2m Prodelin 3122 az-el with one of:
    S: Helical feed, 0.8dB NF LNA, X: 1.2dB NF LNA, conical feed,
    Ku 12-18GHz: corrugated conical feed, 1.5dB NF LNA, Ku (Standard): SMW Q-PLL type C, Prodelin feed. Ku (Extended): 11.3GHz LO SMW & Prodelin Feed Ka: Gilat ex-ODU PLLs Gilat feeds, Ka 18-26.5GHz: Patriot feed, home made 4dB NF LNA, Ka DSN: Corrugated conical feed, home made 3dB NF Down-Converter

1.5m IRTE, Polar mount with Octagon OSLO mod. C120, IRTE feed
    40km East of London, UK

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is a picture of the LNA and mixer part of the 11.3GHz LO SMW. I tried to improve the response at 13.5GHz by shortening the resonators at the mixer input (centre of picture) but was not able to make very much difference. It really needed to be broken into sections and tuned separately. I also wonder if the mixer is a limiting factor as the arms need to be 90 degrees long at the operating frequency. Later versions of this LNB have a wide band mixer. I experimented moving the LO so the LO/5 spur was out of band hence the disturbance of the filter at the bottom right. In the end I decided to leave it as it was since it works with the external amplifier.

Ku 12-18GHz: corrugated conical feed, 1.5dB NF LNA, Ku (Standard): SMW Q-PLL type C, Prodelin feed. Ku (Extended): 11.3GHz LO SMW & Prodelin Feed Ka: Gilat ex-ODU PLLs Gilat feeds, Ka 18-26.5GHz: Patriot feed, home made 4dB NF LNA, Ka DSN: Corrugated conical feed, home made 3dB NF Down-Converter

40km East of London, UK

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von s-band () aus folgendem Grund: I did this some time ago and did not remember exactly what I'd done. It's now corrected.

• Always @ 26°E with IBU with IQmonitor (SR 100-1000) and CS

LOF changed to 12.8Ghz , the spectrum is different between IQmonitor and Crazyscan :25:

I think IBU needs to change some thing in its internal Electric-cercuit to be able to capture Transponders outside the LNB frequency range :25:

• Offizieller Beitrag

strannik  stephan94 Interesting. At lower frequencies the STV6120 (TBS6983 RF chip) 'sees' things on the 3rd harmonic of the LO, as you say. I found the same problem when using a Sky Q LNB which is has full band coverage and a 10.4GHz LO(approx). High frequency signals appeared on 1/3 of their IF frequency and interfered with the wanted ones. e.g. a signal on 2100MHz had a spurious response at 700MHz. The spacing and width of these spurii is 1/3 that of the real signals. In order to use the Sky Q on the TBS tuner I had to put a 900MHz low pass filter in line to exclude fRX x 3 signals.

Excuse me, but I misunderstood the translation ... :125:

Sky Q is an LNB, at the output of which you put a suppression filter for RF signals, the frequency of which lies below the lower boundary of the intermediate frequencies of the Ku band ??? :40:

But it makes no sense to deal with the harmonics of the internal heterodyne of the STV 6120 tuner !!!

Our work with my friend Stephan is not devoted to combating these harmonics (which, in principle, is IMPOSSIBLE within the STV 6120 microcircuit), but to using them to receive signals from satellites, for converting them into the operating range of intermediate frequencies, the LNB local oscillator has a too low frequency

Извините меня, но я плохо понял перевод...

Sky Q - это LNB, на выходе которого вы поставили заградительный фильтр для RF сигналов, частота которых лежит ниже нижней границы промежуточных частот Кu диапазона ???

Но это бессмысленно для борьбы с гармониками внутреннего гетеродина тюнера STV 6120 !!!

Наша с моим другом Стефаном работа посвящена не борьбе с этими гармониками (что в принципе НЕВОЗМОЖНО в пределах микросхемы STV 6120), а использованию их для приёма сигналов со спутников, для конвертации которых в рабочий диапазон промежуточных частот гетеродин LNB имеет слишком низкую частоту

• Always @ 26°E with IBU with IQmonitor (SR 100-1000) and CS

this time Test with 9Ghz LOF .the spectrum seem to me the same as using 12.8ghz

but between IQmonitor and Crazyscan is different :40:

• finaly @ 26°E with IBU with IQmonitor (SR 100-1000) and CS

IBU with universal parameter _Max-Extended :73:

Unfortunaly I was wrong when I use (SR between 100-1000) only :77:

I will continue the same test with BEWI_9GHZ_LNB later :3:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Always @ 26°E with IBU with IQmonitor (SR 100-1000) and CS

LOF changed to 12.8Ghz , the spectrum is different between IQmonitor and Crazyscan :25:

I think IBU needs to change some thing in its internal Electric-cercuit to be able to capture Transponders outside the LNB frequency range :25:

Much-esteemed flie !

I already wrote to you in PM that you set the parameters incorrectly for the IQmonitor program.

In order not to clog this forum thread, I will answer you in the appropriate topic.:74:

LNB Inverto Black Ultra does not require any internal circuit changes.

The fact that you raised the local oscillator frequency (apparently by changing the "pill" of the dielectric resonator) is very good.:73:

Now set:

Fmin = 13050

Fstart = 13050

Fstop = 14100

Fmax = 14100

Lo1 = 12800

Lo2 = 12800

Fswap = 13000, if you put the "pill" in place of the 10600MHz resonator, take (register) the calibration curve of the modified LNB.

Let's see what frequency response you got after the modification.

Good luck! :51:

• Offizieller Beitrag

When I want to look outside the normal range of an LNB, I always use the IF frequency at the receiver. That applies to a TBS card and analysers. Only when I know what is really there will I apply any corrections. For the noise figure plots in the previous post I was using an analyser at the IF frequency with the LO offset correction applied in post processing.

I have been getting very confused by the plots of live satellites so I checked the actual performance and spurious generation of a TBS6903. I created a test signal which has nine carriers, spaced by 20MHz and with 3dB level difference between adjacent carriers. This pattern allows you to see if the spectrum is compressed or inverted. The raw signal was this:

The level shown on the spectrum plot was the level fed to the TBS card. Higher levels than this will modify the results due to the interaction between the scanning and the AGC. Note that when the signal level is low the higher frequency carriers disappear into the noise. With hindsight, it would have been best to have the strongest carrier in the middle.

Here the signal is centred on 900MHz and the 3rd harmonic response can be seen at 300MHz. The scanning process makes the carriers appear closer together however, it should still be possible to demodulate them as a single signal will be received at the static IF LO frequency. The SNR may be reduced as the demodulator will 'see' both the fundamental and the 3rd harmonics at the same time.

In this plot the signal was centred on 2.3GHz so the 3rd, 5th & 7th harmonic responses are present.

Here the input is at 3GHz, outside the normal range of the card. The response is reduced compared to the other examples above.

At 3.6GHz the response is further down so I increased the input by 20dB compared to the previous plots. The card is probably starting to be overloaded. 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th harmonic responses are present. If this were used of a fully loaded satellite, it is unlikely that much would be receivable due to the interference between the many responses.

At 4.2GHz the signal was increased by a further 10dB. Although there is a response, the high input level is overloading the card and increasing the noise floor.

Whilst there is a response at 6 GHz the noise floor is raised and you might be able to demodulate a single signal, I don't think it has practical use.

Sky Q is an LNB, at the output of which you put a suppression filter for RF signals, the frequency of which lies below the lower boundary of the intermediate frequencies of the Ku band ??? :40:

The Sky Q LNB has a single frequency LO at 10.41GHz and an IF output of 290-2340MHz with simultaneous V and H paths. The picture shows one I modified to C120 flange. I tried to use it on the TBS card but noticed that the lower frequency channels had 2-5dB lower SNR than expected. This was due to interference from the higher channels down converted by the 3rd harmonic of the LO.

Using 2 of the test sources as before you can see the effect of a single, high frequency, unwanted signal on a wanted, low frequency, signal.

The wanted signal is at the same level as the unwanted which can be seen overlayed on the plot above. This might reduce the SNR of the wanted signal by a dB or 2.

In this plot the wanted signal has been reduced and it's centre is 750MHz. Here the 3rd harmonic LO response would be high enough to block the wanted signal. My test signal had 9 carriers, only 4 can be seen now.

This is why I used a low pass filter to be able to run the TBS card below about 900MHz when there were signals in the higher part of its response.

It will work in a clean signal situation but I would not recommend using the 3rd harmonic response to extend the range of the IF for DXing. Extending LNBs, I have often been able to get a few hundred MHz at Ku and 500MHz each end at Ka. Anything more requires modifications. If pushing the limits, beware of unexpected secondary responses. The SMW 11.3GHz LO is OK up to 13.8GHz but needs more work to use in a normal system. However, what ever anyone finds works for themselves, that's great.

• test @ 26°E with BEWI with IQmonitor (Auto SR and from 100-50000) and CS using Universal & 9 GHZ parameters

as what Sato & Peon :74: said before :

RE: 25.8°E Es'hail 2 DATV 10.5 GHz

there is no thing above 10490 Mhz ...all Transponders appears above 10.4 GHz with IBU in KU-Max-Extended are a Reflection !:28:

no thing also in Vertical polarity !:25:

sorry for all these bad spectrum ..at least this time I have some correct frequencies with this BEWI 9GHZ LNB:73:

• done ! and Ultra-calibrated-spectrum added :73:

I have to use IQmonitor with (SR 100-1000) again ! to avoid vertical lines !:18:

No thing change with Crazyscan :81:

But even if IBU can see some thing outside his range ,we have to do something about all these reflected frequencies from (10.7-12.75ghz)!:25:

not only for IBU but also for these BEWI_LNBs 12.8ghz :125:

only BEWI 9ghz has not a reflected frequencies :73:but no Transponders at Vertical polarity :80:

about BEWI 11.83 Ghz I don't have it now , so I hope some one who has BEWI 11.83 Ghz can try it @ HOTBIRD Oor ASTRA Satellites :64:

Best regards:70:

flie.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It only seems to you that "done!"

If the equipment buzzes and lights flash on it, this does not mean that it is working.:26.

From your (very good) spectrum:

62563-26-0e-2008192339-13050-14100-h-jpg

it follows that the local oscillator of your LNB Inverto Black Ultra operates not at 12.8 GHz, but at the nominal frequency of the upper sub-band of 10.6 GHz.

This is very clearly seen on the example of transponder 13723 H 1483 with an intermediate frequency at the LNB output of 923 MHz.

This transponder by its parameters is easily found in the reference book:

11523 H DVB-S2 ACM / VCM 1483 1/2 Data Badr-7 Africa 43-48 dBW

and it is registered at the same intermediate frequency of 923 MHz, but after converting the frequency of 11523 MHz downward by a mixer, to the control input of which a frequency of 10.6 GHz is applied.

Please tell us how you converted your LNB Inverto Black Ultra to 12.8GHz, you are our forger :75:

Photos of the rework process, as well as spectra that confirm the local oscillator frequency, are welcome

• Offizieller Beitrag

When I want to look outside the normal range of an LNB, I always use the IF frequency at the receiver. That applies to a TBS card and analysers. Only when I know what is really there will I apply any corrections. For the noise figure plots in the previous post I was using an analyser at the IF frequency with the LO offset correction applied in post processing.

. . .

Whilst there is a response at 6 GHz the noise floor is raised and you might be able to demodulate a single signal, I don't think it has practical use.

. . .

It will work in a clean signal situation but I would not recommend using the 3rd harmonic response to extend the range of the IF for DXing. Extending LNBs, I have often been able to get a few hundred MHz at Ku and 500MHz each end at Ka. Anything more requires modifications. If pushing the limits, beware of unexpected secondary responses. The SMW 11.3GHz LO is OK up to 13.8GHz but needs more work to use in a normal system. However, what ever anyone finds works for themselves, that's great:26..

Thank you so much for the great and brilliantly done work on the hardware confirmation of the possibility of reception at odd harmonics of the STV 6120 heterodyne :76::76::76:

I didn’t like your post just because your conclusions are too pestimal and sometimes wrong.:125:

I published my results of practical reception at the 3rd and even 5th harmonics by the link

• Please tell us how you converted your LNB Inverto Black Ultra to 12.8GHz, you are our forger

in the first time ,I only put LOF1=12800,LOF2=0,Fswap=0 in IQmonitor :26.

with Crazyscan I chose Ku-Circular and also the same parameters before LOF1=12800,LOF2=0,LOF switch=0 :26.

and yes , with these parameters with IBU & LOF=12.8Ghz the Transponders 13107,H,1484 & 13722,H,1484 are Reflected from 11523,H,1484

this Reflection will accepted for me if only from IBU !:125:

But this Reflection happen also with BWEI_12.8Ghz_LNB which should not happen :77: ; 11523,H,1484 Reflected with this LNB to 14076,H,1484 :28:

satellites with 13.75-14.5ghz are very rare , so I can't be sure if this BWEI_lnb is working , I tried before with hvdh _:70: list (TDRS _inl Nasa satellites ) but no Transponder in my area :37:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn’t like your post just because your conclusions are too pestimal and sometimes wrong. :125:

I published my results of practical reception at the 3rd and even 5th harmonics by the link

What you see depends on how you look at it. I see the LO harmonic responses as a problem, you see them as a benefit. That's fine, we all use the tools in the ways that we find most useful. The link is interesting and it is good that IQ monitor finds the transponders on LO harmonics.

satellites with 13.75-14.5ghz are very rare , so I can't be sure if this BWEI_lnb is working , I tried before with hvdh _ :70: list (TDRS _inl Nasa satellites ) but no Transponder in my area :37:

I think that the BWEI may be confusing as it 'sees' the image but is probably OK as long as there is nothing on the image frequency in your beam.

Unfortunately I don't think that the TDRS will be receivable in either your area or here on Ku, but you never know! The space to space dishes have narrow beam widths and are targeted on the LEO or other satellites that they are relaying. There is more info here: TDRS Craft.

I found one satellite above the normal Ku band, 32.7°W (incl.) USA-139 (Orion 4) but that is highly inclined. It appears to transmit something that looks like OQPSK. It is only 2.5dB above noise here so may not be receivable at your location. I had to use averaging to clean up the plots. I'm not sure how it will appear in IQ Monitor as the signals are very wide band (>600MHz) compared to DVB.

Good luck, you've probably got a better chance of finding something from Amos than those of us further north.

40km East of London, UK

• Offizieller Beitrag

What you see depends on how you look at it. I see the LO harmonic responses as a problem, you see them as a benefit. That's fine, we all use the tools in the ways that we find most useful. The link is interesting and it is good that IQ monitor finds the transponders on LO harmonics.

I didn’t like your post just because your conclusions are too gloomy and sometimes wrong” - this is a reverse translation of my post, which gives me a negative assessment of your message :77:

In fact, I really liked your message about the excellently performed research on the influence of odd harmonics on signal reception, as it confirms my research, which was carried out only with the help of software.

I did not put the mark "like" in the form of a "heart" <3 or, as they say in the online slang, "did not like" the message, but this does not mean "dislike", that is, "do not like". These are the translation errors, I hope you paid attention to the font selection in my post.

As for my attitude to the high level of harmonics of the local oscillator, it is as negative as yours :74:. But this is an objective reality, since the signal synthesized by a digital frequency multiplier has a shape that is close to a meander and, by definition, is full of odd harmonics.

In normal reception, this creates additional coherent interference with the desired signal from the satellite :51:

I do not consider the high level of harmonics of the "digital" local oscillator to be an advantage, but on the contrary, it is an INCREDIBLE drawback of the microcircuit.

But we have the proverbs "From a black sheep even a tuft of wool" and "There would be no happiness, but misfortune helped", which speak of the genetic optimism of Russians and the eternal desire to benefit even from shortcomings.

I will put "like" in the form of a "heart" <3 to your last message, but not because you highly appreciated my IQmonitor program (although your opinion is dear and I am pleased), but because you briefly but succinctly covered the problem of receiving in the band of 13 - 14 GHz, and I will not spend time and effort supporting this band :6:

Moreover, our African colleague, whom I jokingly called a hoaxer, turned out to be just that ... :11:

Russian_text________________________________________________________________________________________

"Мне не понравился ваш пост только потому, что ваши выводы слишком мрачны, а иногда и ошибочны" - это обратный перевод моего поста, который даёт негативную оценку мной вашего сообщения.

На самом деле ваше сообщение о прекрасно выполненном исследовании по влиянию нечётных гармоник на приём сигналов мне очень понравилось, так как подтверждает мои исследования, которые выполнены только с помощью программных средств.

Я не поставил отметку " like " в виде "сердечка" или, как говорят на сетевом сленге "не лайкнул" сообщение, но это не значит " dislike ", то есть " не нравится". Вот такие погрешности перевода, надеюсь, что вы обратили внимание на выделение шрифта в моём посте.

Что касается моего отношения к высокому уровню гармоник гетеродина, то оно такое же отрицательное, как и у вас. Но это объективная реальность, так как синтезированный цифровым умножителем частоты сигнал имеет форму, которая близка к меандру и по определению изобилует нечётными гармониками.

При обычном приёме это создаёт дополнительные когерентные помехи полезному сигналу со спутника.

Я не считаю высокий уровень гармоник "цифрового" гетеродина преимуществом, а считаю наоборот, НЕИСПРАВИМЫМ недостатком микросхемы.

Но у нас есть пословицы "С паршивой овцы хоть шерсти клок" и "Не было бы счастья, да несчастье помогло", которые говорят об генетическом оптимизме русских и извечном стремлении извлечь выгоду даже из недостатков.

Вашему последнему сообщению я поставлю " like " в виде "сердечка" но не потому, что вы высоко оценили мою программу IQmonitor (хотя ваше мнение дорогого стоит и мне приятно), а потому, что вы кратко, но ёмко осветили проблему приёма в диапазоне 13 - 14 ГГц , и я не буду тратить время и силы на поддержку этого диапазона.

Тем более, что наш африканский коллега, которого я в шутку назвал мистификатором, именно таковым и оказался...

• IQmonitor real work on lowband LNB (no send 22 kHz), CrazyScan real work on highband LNB (send 22 kHz),

are you still testing on a universal LNB? or buy one band 9GHz LNB and one band 12.8GHz LNB ?

PS:

etc. Al-Aoula on 26E , 11018H-9750=1268 MHz on output LNB , for verification test right change LOF must 1268+9000=10268 or 1268+12800=14068

Ku-Band: 50°West - 95°East Gibertini OP100 (1,0m)
    Ku-Band: 5°West - 39°East WaveFrontier T90 (0,9m)
    Ku-Band LNB: Avenger PLL321S-2 PLL
    Tuner: TBS 5925&5530&5220, EDISION MIO+ 4K, Mut@nt HD51, Dreambox 900UHD&7020HD

• etc. Al-Aoula on 26E , 11018H-9750=1268 MHz on output LNB , for verification test right change LOF must 1268+9000=10268 or 1268+12800=14068

yes you are right EnoSat :76:

With IBU :

-using 12.8ghz Al-Aoula on 26E @ 14068,H,3330

-using Universal ,Al-Aoula on 26E @ 11018,H,3330 and definitely not existed in Ku-high !

-using 9ghz ,Al-Aoula on 26E @ 10268,H,3330

when I deactivate 22Khz in Crazyscan I get the same spectrum as IQmonitor :73:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!