VLC player-Cable/Terr/Sat scan

• Each of those who tried to scan with the VLC player on Windows or Linux,both cable,terrestrial and satellite frequencies,had different experiences,some successfully,but mostly without success.The successes or failures with VLC also depend on dvb cards that we use with this player,at least that's what some users tell us.

With all as a theoretical VLC provides support to be used for scanning and receiving via cable, terrestrial and satellite,most of the time we fail at the first attempt.Most often this failure is attributed to the version of the player used.Sometimes we manage to scan only frequency cable,but not satellite or terrestrial ones.I myself have gone through such experiences in Windows environment,most of the time I gave up to continue.That's because searching and lockng the signal with VLC is a more passive activity and is intended rather for consumers of TV programs or for IPTV streaming,and not for dxers.

If on Windows we are not sure that VLC can be used for scanning C/T/S,I tried this on Linux/Ubuntu 18.04,when I had to install a driver.Of course I started scanning a cable frequency,because I've been able to see VLC cable programs before.

Fortunately,at the first attempt the player found the TV package on the desired frequency-458 Mhz.

Because the first attempt went smoothly,I switched to terrestrial frequency scanning while the cable tv program was running.And this time,VLC also found terrestrial TV programs.

For these two standards I used tbs 6209-cable and tbs6590(terr.) cards.

Then I switched to scanning a frequent satellite.I had doubts that I would be able to lock a frequency,because I never managed with VLC to receive a satellite transponder regardless of the OS(Windows or Linux) used.

For this I thought to choose the tbs6983-A card,because it has a powerful tuner for Astra 19.2 E,but also because the signal is strong even with a 85cm dish,and I chose the UHD transponder at 10995 H.

On the first attempt I didn't succeed,maybe because I thought the advanced options had to be set.Finally I thought it is better to set only the main parameters,freq,symbol rates and modulation.This time the player was searching but couldn't find anything.Then I got into "Advanced" and I picked the right polarity.At that point the player found my satellite TV package.

That's when the player found my satellite TV package.

If I saw that all three VLC players for cable,terrestrial and satellite worked very well at the same time,I told myself to go ahead and try another tuner and another satellite.

For this I chose the tbs6902card and sat Yamal 401 at 90.0 E,the Turkish package at 10972 H.The Player found the tv package at the first scan without delay.

At that time,four VLC players ran simultaneously on different standards.

Of course I didn't settle for that,and I chose the Polish UHD package on Thor,12705 V,45000,3/4,8PSK,

For this package,I thought I'd use tbs6903X,being a strong card,with a 90cm antenna.For this I had to choose the right polarity in Advanced options.Player immediately found the UHD package and then launched the first program from package. I chose the NASA TV for demonstration.

With the next tuner tbs6983-B,I chose Eutelsat 33E to 33.1E for the only FTA program at 10758 V,France HD English,reception with an antenna of 110cm.Because of the codec used by the provider, the player shows me an elongated image.I didn't try to correct it,because I wasn't interested in the show.

On the desktop I had seven VLC players running seven TV programs by C/T,S standards without the images suffering distortions or pixilations.Although running so many TV programs simultaneously, CPU and GPU did not show signs that it is too much.

After this first test with VLC,I wanted to know if the player is able to work with transponders with S2X extension.It was normal to choose the Swiss TV package at 33.1E.,otherwise the only one that is transmitted on European satellites at the moment.That's what I used on the tbs6903X card. Again I didn't encounter a problem with scanning and locking the transponder-12597 V,10058,3/4,25/32,8PSK.

Without further ado, and as a conclusion: at least on the Ubuntu 18.04 version,the VLC player works very well on all transmission standards,Cable/Terrestrial and Satellite. I don't see any problems on other Ubuntu versions as well.Tests with this player I did only with TBS cards.I don't know and I have not tried other cards from other cards manufacturers.

After this experience and tests,I can venture to say that if you have several tuners and signal sources, it can work simultaneously with several VLC at the same time,provided that the computer hardware supports many streams.

Of course my review does not cover all the situations that a user has.And I didn't even propose to write about how VLC works on different standards, but because it was a happy experience with this player and considering that more and more applications implement the scan function,I felt compelled to share the experience that I went through.

Maybe it helps some users who want it :3:

• Dear Satesco,

A very interesting article, great that you did the tests. I'd like to try that, but I don't have any experience with the VLC player, which I've been using for years to view "normal" video files.

I know that more is possible, but unfortunately I lack the knowledge for the settings. Maybe you can give me tips on where and what exactly you have to set to receive satellite.

The tuner has to be specified somewhere first (in my case the TBS-5925.

Then the string for receiving a specific satellite as well as a transponder and frequency

Well, at this point I am unfortunately a beginner and would be very happy for tips.

I am currently gaining experience with satellite reception. I installed my satellite system years ago, but I didn't delve deep enough into the satellite subject. Since that is now changing, since satellite is also crossing paths in the amateur radio sector, it is time to deal with it.

Thank you for answer

aus Berlin

Beste Grüße aus Berlin
    Reinhard (OldHolborn)

--

T90, 8 LNB´s

Gibertini 1,00m Dish

Smart Titanium Universal LNB

Stab HH120 Drehanlage, auf 13,0°E referenziert

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!