X Band LNB

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is some info about my X-band stuff:

I started using a helical feed, Miteq LNA and/or an ex-military LNA/filter, mixer, DRO as shown in the 1st picture. That worked OK but was not very convenient.

The current systems:
    The feeds are based on 28mm plumbing for 8.4GHz and 35mm for 7.5GHz (as in teh post above). Whilst the 28mm works at 7GHz, it is a bit close to cut off for my liking. I started off with squashed pipe polarisers but switched to a more professional one for DSN from uhf-satcom. The LNA is a single CE3512K2-C1 GaAsFET from CEL which has an NF around 0.8dB (should be better). That's followed by a Miteq AFS3-08500960 from Ebay. That's got a NF of about 1.1dB. The overall system NF is about 1dB on 8.4 and 1.2dB on 7.5GHz.

The pipe reducers are not exactly right but work OK for offset feeds. I made Chaparral type feeds for PF dishes.

The down converter comprises: An isolator to improve the match, a Wessex surplus 2 stage amp with all fets replaced by MGF 4949, 3dB splitter to feed an analyser, surplus filter, WJ M14A mixer, 2250MHz LPF & an IF amp. The LO is uses a synth from a Gilat band B Ka LNB with external reference fed from a signal generator. Initially it used the original crystal giving an LO of 9125MHz. I swap the isolators and filters to switch between bands.

For the back-end I use SDRs (Airspy, Pluto etc), a spectrum analyser and/or a TBS6983 card. For DSN it is essential to have a very stable frequency source. I use a 10MHz GPS locked rubidium clock but many people seem to use this:
    http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/…cPath=107&products_id=234

Here are a few links that I find useful:
    https://uhf-satcom.com/ (8.4GHz polarisers & much more)
    https://www.qsl.net/ct1dmk/mw_low.html (PF feed calculator & polarisers)
    https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.cgi#results (Tracking data for DSN)
    https://eyes.nasa.gov/dsn/dsn.html (live NASA activity)
    http://estracknow.esa.int/ (live ESA activity)

• Ich habe heute meinen Depolarizer von SMW gesucht (https://smw.se/product/wavegui…t/depolarizer-lhc-rhc-ku/) und gefunden.
    Das Verhältnis wäre 1:1,28, demnach würde ein solches Teil für das X-Band 73 mm lang werden.
    Das x-förmige Kunststoffplättchen muss ich erst nachmessen. Leider kann man es nur gewaltsam rausnehmen, was ich nicht tun werde.

Erst Wenn ein für mich akzeptables Signal rauskommt, denke ich über eine ordentliche Montage am LNB-Wechsler nach.
    Fix ist jedenfalls, dass der F/D Wert der Laminas nicht so recht zu meinen Feeds passt und alles von der Antenne weiter weg gehört; bei dieser Länge und Gewicht nicht leicht zu realisieren.

s-band:
    Mit einen 7.75-8.5 GHz LNB, das die Erdbeobachtung abdeckt wurde nichts.
    Norsat hat diesen Frequenzbereich nicht im Programm und bei SMW hätte ich etwa 2500 US$ bezahlt soviel ich in Erinnerung habe, was mir dann doch zum Spielen zu heftig war.

sato:
    Der (runde) Innendurchmesser meines zirkularen Feeds ist 23 mm. Laut "110098-02 Polarizer.pdf" ist es ein Innendurchmesser von 1,61", das sind 40,89 mm was einen Flansch WR137 entspricht.
    Nachdem die LNBs einen WR112 haben, orderte ich danach auch die Feeds. Ich hoffe nur, dass darin nicht der Teufel steckt.

@all:
    Welche Antennengröße verwendet ihr im X-Band überhaupt?

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Today I looked for my SMW depolarizer (https://smw.se/product/wavegui…t/depolarizer-lhc-rhc-ku/) and found it.
    The ratio would be 1:1.28, so such a part would be 73 mm long for the X-band.
    I have to measure the x-shaped plastic plate first. Unfortunately you can only take it out by force, which I will not do.

Only when a signal that is acceptable to me comes out, I think about a proper installation on the LNB changer.
    In any case, it is fix that the F/D value of the Laminas does not really fit with my feeds and that everything belongs to the antenna further away; not easy to realize with this length and weight.

s-band:
    With a 7.75-8.5 GHz LNB covering Earth observation, nothing came of it.
    Norsat does not have this frequency range in the program and at SMW I would have paid about 2500 US $ as much as I remember, which was too violent for me to play.

sato:
    The (round) inside diameter of my circular feed is 23 mm. According to "110098-02 Polarizer.pdf" it has an inner diameter of 1.61 ", which is 40.89 mm which corresponds to a flange WR137.
    After the LNBs have a WR112, I also ordered the feeds. I just hope that it's not the devil.

@all:
    What antenna size do you use in the X-band at all?

Bilder

Wer nicht die Antennengröße und den ungefähren Standort angibt, postet sinnlos, sofern es um eine Signalerfassung geht.

If you don't specify the antenna size and the approximate location, posting is useless if it's about signal acquisition.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi femi, this page has dimensions for a plate for 10GHz ham use http://lea.hamradio.si/~s57uuu/emeconf/eme06.htm
    That may help.

23mm is very close to cut off for X band. I use 35mm dia pipe for 7.5GHz and 28mm for 8.4GHz.
    https://www.everythingrf.com/r…ular-waveguide-calculator

The plumbing fittings work quite well for offset dishes and are very cheap. On 8.4GHz I use a genuine Prodelin Ku feed but it has been bored out to fit a 28mm pipe. I recommend the squashed pipe de-polariser, I prefer it to the dielectric plate ones. The Miteq LNA was about 100GBP on Ebay, the filters and mixers I use are mil surplus also not expensive.

My reports in the X band section are mainly using a 1.2m Prodelin Ka Band VSAT dish on an az-el mount. It is good because it can take a heavy unit at the feed as it was originally used with a big TX/RX ODU. Some reports were when I had a cheap Chinese 2.4m dish.

I found a picture of the 8.4GHz feed with UHF-Satcom depolariser on the Prodelin.

Good luck.

• Thank you s-band and femi for sharing your know-how with us. This is exactly what I meant when I wrote earlier to Feedsat about sharing information....

Anyway, I`ve got some pictures to share, too, even I took them a long time ago when we got our X band LNBs. I contacted Paul J.Marsh from UHF-Satcom and also took screenshots from Michael Fletcher`s web site (kolumbus.fi ---> https://73.fi/oh2aue/ ) and discussed a few things about X band reception. Paul sent me a few pics I`d like to share with you as they might be useful 1 way or another. Or maybe you can come up with some other solution in reception chain (polarizer, feedhorn, waveguides etc.)

"However, a circular polariser to cover the whole band, 7.25-8.4GHz, is difficult to make."
    s-band if you mention polarization problems above 7.75 GHz, it should be possible (somehow) to make it as Seavey offers a complete PF unit including polarizer to cover 7.1-8.4 Ghz range - model X band FEED-ESA-77C-2A.

"According to "110098-02 Polarizer.pdf" it has an inner diameter of 1.61 ", which is 40.89 mm which corresponds to a flange WR137."
    Polarizer has each side different. I`ve got only one picture that shows its diameter of the end towards feedhorn. The second to the OMT can be seen on different shot, but without a measuring tape. This one is much smaller, that`s why Peon decided to use an adapter (it was mention to strannik`s reply), so it would be easy to go with or without a polarizer only with 1 feedhorn. Otherwise 2 would be needed: 1) bigger diameter for polarizer 2) smaller diameter for the OMT

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat

Original von sato
    "However, a circular polariser to cover the whole band, 7.25-8.4GHz, is difficult to make."
    s-band if you mention polarization problems above 7.75 GHz, it should be possible (somehow) to make it as Seavey offers a complete PF unit including polarizer to cover 7.1-8.4 Ghz range - model X band FEED-ESA-77C-2A.

Maybe I should have said it's difficult for me, squashing a pipe is close to my metalwork skill limit :125: However, I found a design, which should cover the whole range, in this paper:
    https://www.researchgate.net/p…cular_Waveguide_Polarizer
    One day I will try it.

The polariser you show is the ribbed type which also gives good bandwidth but hard to find on the surplus market.

Many thanks especially for the GD 30 degree feed drawing. That looks ideal for my Prodelin, apart from the cost!

1.2m Prodelin 3122 az-el with one of:
    S: Helical feed, 0.8dB NF LNA, X: 1.2dB NF LNA, conical feed,
    Ku 12-18GHz: corrugated conical feed, 1.5dB NF LNA, Ku (Standard): SMW Q-PLL type C, Prodelin feed. Ku (Extended): 11.3GHz LO SMW & Prodelin Feed Ka: Gilat ex-ODU PLLs Gilat feeds, Ka 18-26.5GHz: Patriot feed, home made 4dB NF LNA, Ka DSN: Corrugated conical feed, home made 3dB NF Down-Converter

1.5m IRTE, Polar mount with Octagon OSLO mod. C120, IRTE feed
    40km East of London, UK

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von s-band ()

• The polarizer from your link is mostly used in C band and it is very popular in Russia where rivets are used.
    But a long, long time ago I found somewhere a profi polarizer that used the same technology (the 1 on the picture below).

I added the pdf file from the link you provided as sometimes those files exist for some time and then they vanish....

• Ich habe heute den Depolarizer vermessen, eine Skizze gezeichnet und eine Excel-Tabelle zur Umrechnung in andere Frequenzbänder erstellt.

Ihr könnt einfach den Faktor ändern, um den für euch passenden Durchmesser des Hohlleiters zu erhalten.

Die Skizze habe ich mit den Maßen des Ku-Bands (für andere Bänder die Maße aus der Excel entnehmen) versehen.

Ich werde jetzt einmal den Polarizer mit der Platte anfertigen, Schrauben wie hier https://www.researchgate.net/publication...guide_Polarizer lassen sich dann immer noch reindrehen.
    Der Gedanke neue, im Durchmesser größer dimensionierte Teile zu besorgen, hat einen Nachteil. Ich brauche dann auch noch einen Adapter von WR112 auf WR 137, was alles noch länger und schwerer macht.

Zitat

Original von s-band
    23mm is very close to cut off for X band. I use 35mm dia pipe for 7.5GHz and 28mm for 8.4GHz.

Ich denke da liegst du richtig, da macht es dicht, weshalb auch das lineare Feed besser funktionierte.
    Laut der Tabelle, die ich auf https://www.everythingrf.com/tech-resources/waveguides-sizes fand, gibt es im zirkularen X-Band 3 Bereiche.
    Wenn ich davon ausgehe, dass der LOW (8.2-9.97) mit 27,79 mm eigentlich schon hoch ist, sind die 23,7 mm meines Feeds sehr ungünstig.

sato, mit dieser Version (113413-1 DWG Rev - Xband Horn 30 Deg.pdf) könnte ich mich anfreunden, von der Größe her wesentlich besser, bedarf aber einiger Drehbank-Stunden.
    Bleibt aber auch hier die Frage, ob ein Adapter von 27,94 mm (~28 mm) rund auf WR118 aufzutreiben ist. Ein Polarizer dazwischen ist ja noch die leichtere Übung.

Today I measured the depolarizer, drew a sketch and created an Excel table for the conversion into other frequency bands.

You can simply change the factor to get the right diameter of the waveguide.

I provided the sketch with the dimensions of the Ku-band (for other bands, take the dimensions from Excel)

I will now make the polarizer with the plate, screws like here https://www.researchgate.net/publication...guide_Polarizer can still be screwed in.
    The idea of ??getting new parts with larger dimensions has a disadvantage. I also need an adapter from WR112 to WR 137, which makes everything even longer and heavier.

Zitat

Original von s-band

I think you're right there, it makes it leak tight, which is why the linear feed worked better.
    According to the table I found on https://www.everythingrf.com/t…sources/waveguides-sizes, there are 3 areas in the circular X-band.
    If I assume that the LOW (8.2-9.97) with 27.79 mm is actually already high, the 23.7 mm of my feed are very unfavorable.

sato, with this version (113413-1 DWG Rev - Xband Horn 30 Deg.pdf) I could make friends, the size is much better, but it takes a few hours lathe.
    Still her, the only question remains: can I get an adapter of 27.94 (~28) mm round to WR118? A polarizer in between is still the easier exercise.

• Ich bin doch noch fündig geworden. Möglicherweise ist dies die Lösung des Problems.
    Das Horn zu fertigen wird sicher eine Herausforderung.
    Den Aussendurchmesser von 2,47" (62,7 mm) kann man ohne weiteres auf 65 mm erhöhen, sodass dies in eine 65 mm C-Band Aufnahme passt.

Flann Microwave hat diese Rectangular to Circular Waveguide Transitions und sogar mit Polarizer. Ich werde mal anfragen, was die dafür haben wollen.

I still found what I was looking for. This may be the solution to the problem.
    Manufacturing the horn will certainly be a challenge.
    The outer diameter of 2.47 "(62.7 mm) can easily be increased to 65 mm, so that this fits into a 65 mm C-band mount.

Flann Microwave has these Rectangular to Circular Waveguide Transitions and even with Polarizer. I'll ask what they want for it.

Bilder

Wer nicht die Antennengröße und den ungefähren Standort angibt, postet sinnlos, sofern es um eine Signalerfassung geht.

If you don't specify the antenna size and the approximate location, posting is useless if it's about signal acquisition.

• Das pdf ausgedruckt und in mm vermessen

The pdf printed out and measured in mm

Bilder

• In der Zwischenzeit habe ich den Depolarizer gebastelt. Der Prototyp hat 575g, ließe sich aber noch einiges an Gewicht einsparen.
    Das Innendrehmeißel war auch nicht das Beste, sodass einseitig kleine Rillen entstanden. So manches industrielles Innenleben ist in schlechteren Zustand.
    Die PTFE-Platte hat 3mm.

In the meantime I made the depolarizer. The prototype has 575g, but could still be saved some weight.
    The internal turning tool was not the best either, so small grooves were created on one side. Many industrial interiors are in poor condition.

The PTFE plate has 3mm.

Bilder

• sato, peon
    Habt ihr den Drehstahl selbst geschliffen oder gibt es den bei euch in einen Geschäft zu kaufen?
    Mein Drehmeisel würde unweigerlich mit der Unerkante am Material anstehen, 2-3 mm und dann ist Schluss.

sato, peon
    Did you grind the turning steel yourself or is it available in a shop?
    My lathe tool would inevitably line up with the unrecognized material, 2-3 mm and then it's over.

Bilder

• Hello femi,

yep, you`re right about those cutting tools. There are made by Radeco and they are all sold as semi finished products, so it is necessary to grind them to required shape and size.
    Catalogue can be seen on provided links from Czech shops, but take it as an example to show you what`s available and what price range they are sold for.

Radeco - Toll Blank

Radeco - Toll Blank

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just to let you know...

... today my toys arrived - same equipment as femi.

Bilder

• Ich nehme an, du hast das Thema hier mit Interesse verfolgt. Die 23mm Durchmesser des Feeds sind für den unteren Frequenzbereich absolut kein Erlebnis.
    Meine Alustangen kann ich abholen, das Drehwerkzeug ist bestellt, muss ich aber erst mal selbst bearbeiten.

Im Augenblick suche ich noch nach einen Polarizer 28mm => WR112.
    Das sollte sich noch im ganzen Bereich ausgehen, ohne ins cut off zu kommen.

Ich empfehle dir bei Tests die höheren Frequenzen.

I assume you have followed the subject with interest here. The 23mm diameter of the feed is absolutely no experience for the lower frequency range.
    I can pick up my aluminum rods, the turning tool has been ordered, but I have to process it's first.

I am currently looking for a Polarizer 28mm => WR112.
    That should work out in the whole area without getting into the cut off.

I recommend the higher frequencies for tests.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks femi!

• Angebot von Flann bezüglich der R/L Wave Guide Transition: (beitrag vom 13.1.)

Ich fasse es nicht.
    2148 € pro Stück ohne Steuer und Versandkosten, jenseits jeder Realität für den Heim-Gebrauch.
    Ich werde mal ein verkleinertes AVCOMM zeichnen ...

Flann's offer regarding the R / L Wave Guide Transition (Posting 13.1.)

I can not believe it.
    2148 € each without tax and shipping costs, beyond any reality for home use.
    I'm going to draw a scaled down AVCOMM ...

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von femi ()

• Unglaublich. Ich wollte von einer deutschen Firma ein Einstechwerkzeug, wurde an österreichische Partner verwiesen, weil ich keine deutsche Adresse habe.
    Die Partnerfirma bietet mir ein völlig untaugliches Katalogprodukt an. Wenn das ein Techniker ist, darf ich mich ab heute Diplomingenieur für Werkzeugbau nennen.

Abgesehen von den Rillen fehlen noch die Flanschbohrungen und im Hohlleiter eine Abschrägung von 6°.

Leider hat das Projekt bisher mehr Zeit in Anspruch genommen, als ich erwartete. Dafür habe ich es geschafft einen 120 l Kübel mit Spänen zu füllen.

Incredible. I wanted a axial penetration tool from a German company, was referred to Austrian partners because I don't have a German address.
    The partner company offers me a completely unsuitable catalog product. If that is a technician, I can call myself a graduate engineer for tool making.

At the current time, the grooves and the holes in the flange are still missing. The bevel in the waveguide of 6 ° is also still missing.

Unfortunately, the project has taken more time than I expected. For this I managed to fill a 120 l bucket with chips.

• Hat eigentlich jemand schon solche Adapter probiert?

Has anyone actually tried such adapters?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Microw…id=p2045573.c100033.m2042

Es gibt sie in WR42, WR51 aber scheinbar nicht in WR112; wäre aber relativ leicht realisierbar.

They exist in WR42, WR51 but apparently not in WR112; but would be relatively easy to implement.

• Heute habe ich den Adapter fertiggestellt
    Die Kanten könnten noch schöner sein, aber wenn er nicht funktioniert, erspare ich mir diese Handarbeit.
    Sehr schlecht zu fräsen war der mittlere Abschnitt. Die Schneidkante des Fräsers ist hier kürzer als die Tiefe im Adapter.

Today I finished the adapter
    The edges could be even nicer, but if it doesn't work, I'll save myself the manual work.
    The middle section was very difficult to mill. The cutting edge of the milling cutter is shorter here than the depth in the adapter.

Bilder

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von femi ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!