13.5°W Garpun 11L ? END-OF-LIFE Data>C

• Offizieller Beitrag

A few days ago, Garpun 11L (Cosmos 2473) arrived at an easier location for W & C Europe: 13.5°W. Proviously on 79.9°E.

Garpun 12L (Cosmos 2513) is at 80.25°E.

These Russian military relay satellites are pretty mysterious, it's not even clear what bands are used!
    http://www.russianspaceweb.com/garpun.html
    http://spaceflight101.com/spacecraft/garpun/
    In the latter link is said, maybe C-band like predecessor, or maybe S/Ku band instead.

I don't think anyone reported signals yet...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I searched 2100-2200MHz and found 2 signals in that region of sky, see

/edit by qwer: LINKS disappeared (01.08.2020).

1.2m Prodelin 3122 az-el with one of:
    S: Helical feed, 0.8dB NF LNA, X: 1.2dB NF LNA, conical feed,
    Ku 12-18GHz: corrugated conical feed, 1.5dB NF LNA, Ku (Standard): SMW Q-PLL type C, Prodelin feed. Ku (Extended): 11.3GHz LO SMW & Prodelin Feed Ka: Gilat ex-ODU PLLs Gilat feeds, Ka 18-26.5GHz: Patriot feed, home made 4dB NF LNA, Ka DSN: Corrugated conical feed, home made 3dB NF Down-Converter

1.5m IRTE, Polar mount with Octagon OSLO mod. C120, IRTE feed
    40km East of London, UK

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I might be wrong but there is unusual signal on the analyser at 13.5°W

and the 2 nd screenshot the signal disappear if I turn the antenna a bit to the west (14°W), the signal left

around 3.160 Ghz :88:

I have noticed this signal here before today

• Offizieller Beitrag

One more check tonight, the signal still there and polarization is RHCP
    No "special" constellation found

• Offizieller Beitrag

The band 3100 to 3300 MHz is for terrestrial radar (military) but may also be used from satellites for earth exploration. That would be an unexpected payload for Garpun 11L, although little is really known about this satellite series!

The peak above 3400 MHz comes from the 13.5°W direction as well? Looks like a typical telemetry frequency.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat

Original von hvdh
    The band 3100 to 3300 MHz is for terrestrial radar (military) but may also be used from satellites for earth exploration. That would be an unexpected payload for Garpun 11L, although little is really known about this satellite series!

The peak above 3400 MHz comes from the 13.5°W direction as well? Looks like a typical telemetry frequency.

No , the peak is from 14°W.
    Thanks for your help.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat

Original von Feedsat

No , the peak is from 14°W.
    Thanks for your help.

I can see it as well but the SNR is poor. My Titanium LNB is a long way down at that frequency and my dish will be at least 6dB down on yours. It looks about 40MHz wide and peaks on RHCP. The analyser plot shows the signal with the noise trace overlayed. The noise plot was taken by turning the dish.

The only earth exploration satellites that I found reference to were/are non-geo. This link is interesting but the information is a few years old: http://www.nap.edu/read/21729/chapter/10#177

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just my try (in circular)...

Bilder

• Offizieller Beitrag

Another look in (circ.) spectrum here with TBS 6903 and TBS 6522.

Bilder

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

is "Garpun 11L" still present anywhere?

Best regards

qwer

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you hvdh for your help and information. :73:

• qwer

Hat den Titel des Themas von „13.5°W Garpun 11L ?“ zu „13.5°W Garpun 11L ? END-OF-LIFE Data>C“ geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!