Beiträge von TommyJ

Satellite technologies are developing so rapidly, it is not surprising that new rockets are emerging to launch them. CubeSats, 6g, satellite internet, satellite TV, etc. All of this requires tools to launch into space. I recently found a new European micro launcher for myself.

Skyrora has done tests and is looking forward to launching soon.

I hope they succeed. Then we could get a new satellite launch operator. I wonder what benefits this might have for launching small satellites?

With the help of satellite technology, people receive data on animal migration. This allows not only tracking animals but also preventing the actions of poachers.

Of course, drones on Earth are additionally used to complete the picture. But still, this is one of the things that make satellite technology useful.

Currently in the world astronautics are

large-scale changes that can dramatically change the situation in the field of astronautics. In recent years, a boom in the development of commercial astronautics has become self-replicating by attracting private capital, including "non-space" companies such as Google,

Alibaba Group, Amazon (Blue Origin), Virgin Group (Virgin Galactic), etc., and on the other - the basis for solving purely government problems. Relying on the resources and solutions of private companies, competition between

them - the countries of the West, China, Japan reduce the risks and costs of solving more and more ambitious tasks of moving into ever more distant space, developing space intelligence, telecommunications, communications and navigation in the interests of the economy and the armed forces.

In this regard, more and more private space companies appear, which are called upon to participate in various state and scientific missions.

Who would you bet on? On

private companies or government agencies?

The CubeSat, made up of standardized 10cm cube-shaped blocks, could revolutionize satellites by replacing large and complex spacecraft with small and simple constellations that can be deployed quickly and inexpensively.

However, the small size of the satellites also means there is a trade-off in the design. Larger satellites can carry enough fuel for years or even decades to keep them in orbit or change as needed, but CubeSats don't have much room for engines, fuel and power systems to operate them.

To overcome this, Howe Industries is developing ThermaSat, which is a separate module that can be installed on one side of the CubeSat. The water heats up until it turns into steam, which creates thrust.

According to the company, ThermaSat weighs 2.4 kg, including a standard load of 1 kg of distilled water, and consists of two CubeSat units (2U). They can provide the movement of spacecraft up to 16 CubeSat units. When water turns to steam, it creates a thrust of 1.02 N and a specific impulse of 203 seconds. That's enough to keep CubeSat in low-earth orbit for more than five years, or in very low-earth orbit for months instead of weeks.

In addition, ThermaSat gives CubeSat the ability to change its orbit. This means that space satellites can fly in formation, de-orbit on command, and avoid collisions with other satellites.

How useful it can be?

Nokia Oyj is leading a group of companies and universities in a European Union-funded wireless communications project called Hexa-X, which aims to help launch the next generation of mobile technologies, now called 6G.

The group includes Ericsson AB, mobile operators Orange SA and Telefonica SA, and technology companies including Intel Corp. and Siemens AG. According to the list of participants, the University of Oulu and the University of Pisa have joined them.

While 5G deployment is still in its infancy and 100 wireless carriers worldwide offer services in limited areas, preparations for 6G development have already begun in several regions around the world.

In addition to Hexa-X, which is led by Nokia in Europe, there is the Next G alliance and the O-RAN alliance in the US.

As I understand it, this is a growing market. But some experts say the small satellite launch segment is highly overestimated (overheated). That is, there are more companies ready to provide small satellite launch services than the industry requires. In this regard, I have a question: will only those who are ready to offer launches at minimal prices remain on the market or are there other options?

The world's first 6G technology testing satellite, manufactured in the PRC, has been launched into orbit by a Long March-6 launch vehicle along with 12 other satellites from the Taiyuan Cosmodrome in Shanxi Province.

The satellite envisions the use of terahertz frequencies to boost data rates many times faster than 5G networks. The satellite also carries equipment for monitoring natural situations that are unfavorable for agriculture and for preventing forest fires.

The 6G satellite is one of three Chinese satellites launched into orbit with the Long March-6 this time. Ten other satellites belong to Argentina. Thus, China's next-generation launch vehicle launched foreign satellites into space for the first time.

The 6G spacecraft is developed by Chengdu Guoxing Aerospace Science and Technology in cooperation with the China University of Electronic Science and Technology and Beijing MinoSpace Technology. The satellite will be used to test the 6G technology in space.

This is pretty old news. This was announced on November 9, 2020.

How promising do you think this technology is and who will be the first to enter the market with it?

There are currently over 100 small satellite launch vehicles in development in the world. Some of them have already been tested. Others exist so far only on paper. But it looks like we will have almost daily launches in the next decade.

Do you have any favourite projects?

And what do you think about the number of satellites that will be launched into orbit by 2029? (There should be about 57,000)

Hey! My name is Tom. I love watching satellite launches and everything connected with them. I would like to join the discussions on the forum. Hope to learn something new.