- NS2000 - RX8200 - ADV-6000S

- TM1 - TC1 - SR1 - MATRIX DEV1982

- Promax TV II+

- Dual Axis multi Antennas controller

- EGIS - LNB Changer

- Venture motorisations

- 78.5°E (KU) <> 65°W (C)

- Loc: France

• This stuff has been lying around for a year, some parts for over 2. Yep guys, you`re not dreaming. There are 4 LNBs even I never had an opportunity to take 1 shot with all of them together.

I`m out of business `cause of my personal circumstances so I do not hunt any signals atm and has also stopped writing.... and Peon even he has an opportunity to use them has different priorities now.
    Also as a long friend I can`t push him to do stuff just `cause it`s available and I want it - it wouldn`t be a friendly request and then I adore him as he is a smart and intelligent guy every way you can imagine. We have learnt for all those 25 years from each other a lot, even he`s still the master and I`m his student. ;)

I know, it`s pity that those state of the art parts are there and nobody`s bothered to use them, but their day will come. That was the whole point when they were purchased a long, long time ago.

By the way Feedsat, what polarizer/dielectric plate do you use? I have some other useful info, if a friendly communication starts....

I think that if we start talking about reception reports, we should mention what gear was used. But as you can see, I`m not the one who`s begging, but I can add a piece or two of my knowledge.

Otherwise it`s only showing off. That`s my pictures haven`t been uploaded until now. Except one DX site. I don`t have any need to show off what I or Peon have or achieve, even we still keep working on various projects. Some info is published, some kept on our PCs from various reasons.

I uploaded some pictures on another forum to say my thank you to my friend Foreman who didn`t hesitate and helped me when I was in need. From that time on we are very good friends and his/their forum is always where I upload pictures first. To say my thanks and appreciation.

http://digitaldx.myforum.ro/despre-x-band-vt428.html

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat

Original von sato..

By the way Feedsat, what polarizer/dielectric plate do you use? I have some other useful info, if a friendly communication starts....

I think that if we start talking about reception reports, we should mention what gear was used. But as you can see, I`m not the one who`s begging, but I can add a piece or two of my knowledge.

Hi Sato,

Sure, we are in a friendly board, a friendly conversation can start (even more in Private for details)

Well, you ask the good question regarding the polarizer and dielectric.
    My X band experience is new, I try few home made dielectric plate but no good results , which polarizer or dielectric should be the most appropriate for X band ?

Feedsat's Setup

- Wineguard Micromesh 3.10 m

- Channel Master PFA 3.10 m

- Laminas 1.80 m

- 2 X Channel Master 1.80 m

- Channel Master 2.40 m

- KU, KU Ext.,Full KA, X, C & C Ext

- TBS5925 -TBS6522 - TBS6983 - DTA2137CSXP

- NS2000 - RX8200 - ADV-6000S

- TM1 - TC1 - SR1 - MATRIX DEV1982

- Promax TV II+

- Dual Axis multi Antennas controller

- EGIS - LNB Changer

- Venture motorisations

- 78.5°E (KU) <> 65°W (C)

- Loc: France

• I suppose to start with something like "Work in progress" as our X band project got another pro grade part.

I was determined to use the second X band set for PF dishes no matter what time or energy it takes to get the proper feedhorn. We know that sometimes there are things out there money can`t buy...

So here we go again! Thanks to a vital help of our old friend DX Bozoth who we (me and Peon) want to send a big THANK YOU we got our hand on a professional prime focus feedhorn.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat

Original von sato
    I suppose to start with something like "Work in progress" as our X band project got another pro grade part.

Very interesting. It looks like it had a sealed cover over it and that is may have been for a deep dish. Is this so? I can see what looks like an OMT but does it have a circular polariser inside?

1.2m Prodelin 3122 az-el (Not in use) with one of:
    S: Helical feed, 0.8dB NF LNA, X: 1.2dB NF LNA, conical feed, Ku 12-18GHz: corrugated conical feed, 1.5dB NF LNA, Ku (Standard): SMW Q-PLL type C, Prodelin feed. Ku (Extended): 11.3GHz LO SMW & Prodelin Feed Ka: Gilat ex-ODU PLLs Gilat feeds, Ka 18-26.5GHz: Patriot feed, home made 4dB NF LNA, Ka DSN: Corrugated conical feed, 3dB NF Down-Converter

1.8m PF, Polar mount with Bullseye C120 LNB, Precision/Elite feed
    40km East of London, UK

• The cap has gone and there is something inside but it is hard to say whether it is something to improve signal in the range or works like a polariser.

Take a closer look...

But this is not something that worries us as this unit will be used to make an exact copy of the feedhorn itself.
    You know, we are planning to make a custom feedhorn with an adjustable scalar ring. (aka Invacom Ku band feedhorn).
    Peon has one for Ka band and it works like a charm. You can adjust f/d and get the maximum performance from your dish.

The first idea was to try and make a PF feedhorn from the measurments of the offset feedhorn we already have, just to make it flat as a PF one requires... This should work probably, too.

But then our friend Laszlo helped us out and provided Peon with this one.
    A lathe machine is available to Peon so he can make dreams come true...

P.S.: The last picture shows Peter`s NWIEE 3.7m and the Ka band unit when he was testing his dish for a maximum performance in that band.

• Work on X band is still in progress.
    The new home made X band PF feedhorn that has been calculated and manufactured by Peon to details....

• Wooow!!! Keep working sato and Peon. You are true satellite fans!!! Moc pekne!!!

TBS 5927
    Gibertini 100cm with SG2100 - Inverto Black Ultra (Twin)
    Gibertini 150cm - Inverto Black Ultra (Single)

North-East of Czech Republic

• I will use this feeds with the X1000HA from Norsat.

@sato/feedsat:
    If you know a permanent signal for reference, please let me know.

Bilder

Wer nicht die Antennengröße und den ungefähren Standort angibt, postet sinnlos, sofern es um eine Signalerfassung geht.

If you don't specify the antenna size and the approximate location, posting is useless if it's about signal acquisition.

Dish & Location

N 48.602 E 15.553

240 Irte (Ku/C)

180 Laminas stationär (KaEABCD/Ku/C/X)

180 Laminas mobil (all)

120 Laminas (Ku)

100 (Ku, 1.9°E/7°E), 100 (Ku, 27.5°W), 85 (Ku, 13°E/16°E/19.2°E)

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat

Original von femi
    I will use this feeds with the X1000HA from Norsat.

sato/feedsat:
    If you know a permanent signal for reference, please let me know.

I normally use the beacons from 6E & 12W on 7600MHz. They are receivable on the feed alone when using narrow bandwidths on an SDR. They are on slightly different frequencies so it is possible to separate them.

/edit by qwer: Sorry, LINK disappeared with changed forum software on 01.08.2020.

sato Very nice work

S: Helical feed, 0.8dB NF LNA, X: 1.2dB NF LNA, conical feed, Ku 12-18GHz: corrugated conical feed, 1.5dB NF LNA, Ku (Standard): SMW Q-PLL type C, Prodelin feed. Ku (Extended): 11.3GHz LO SMW & Prodelin Feed Ka: Gilat ex-ODU PLLs Gilat feeds, Ka 18-26.5GHz: Patriot feed, home made 4dB NF LNA, Ka DSN: Corrugated conical feed, 3dB NF Down-Converter

40km East of London, UK

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von s-band (18. November 2019 um 22:48)

• DE:
    An der mit dem Pfeil gekennzeichneten Stelle muss noch ein Adapter her, damit es 1:1 mit dem C-Band Equipment tauschbar wird.

Das Üble an der Sache ist die leichte Pyramidenform des Hohlleiters.

EN:
    At the point marked with the arrow, an adapter must be made so that it can be exchanged 1: 1 with the C-band equipment.

The bad thing is the light pyramid shape of the waveguide.

Bilder

Wer nicht die Antennengröße und den ungefähren Standort angibt, postet sinnlos, sofern es um eine Signalerfassung geht.

If you don't specify the antenna size and the approximate location, posting is useless if it's about signal acquisition.

Dish & Location

N 48.602 E 15.553

240 Irte (Ku/C)

180 Laminas mobil (all)

120 Laminas (Ku)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for your info, femi!
    I had to wait for my toy a few weeks more...

qwer setup

C-band: 53.0°West-68.5°East ORBITRON O-16 (4,9m)

X-band: 17.8°W-60.2°E KATHREIN CAS 120 (1,2m) - standby

Ku-band: 61.0°West-80.0°East KATHREIN CAS 23 (2,2m)

Ka-band A/B/C/D: 30.0°W-75.0°E KATHREIN CAS 018 (1,8m)

Ka-band band A 2x KATHREIN CAS 120 fix on 19.2°E and 42.0°E

Ku-band LNB: Invacom SNF-031, Inverto Single Flange

C-band LNBs: Kaonsat, C-Panorama 13K, Norsat 8000RI C-DRO, BrasilSat LNBF AP30 PLL

Ka-Band LNBs: Inverto Twin WHITE Ka Circular Dual Polarity LNB (flange), Inverto IDLK-SINL20-KAKU-OPP,MCL-KP04, Norsat 9000HX-O3B-BN, Orbital LNB1825F-1000D-WF55

X-band LNB: Norsat X1000HAF

Feeds: Invacom ADF_10 + 2 rings, XMW Ka-band Feed FD9000K

Waveguide Polariser: AV-COMM

Tuner: TBS 6925, TBS 6903, TBS 6903X, TBS 6522

>qwer setup

• Was mir noch auffiel ist, dass die Schrauben des Norsat LNBs keine metrischen sind.
    Achtung bei eventuellen Tausch!

What strikes me is that the screws of the Norsat LNB are not metric.
    Attention in case of eventual exchange!

Dish & Location

N 48.602 E 15.553

240 Irte (Ku/C)

180 Laminas mobil (all)

120 Laminas (Ku)

• There are not metric ones, you`re right about that.
    Those screws use "Whitworth" type of thread mostly used in the US, but it is very common on LNBs. So there`s nothing unusual.

Anyway, I`ve got a question for you femi.
    The middle part of your setup is a polarizer or an adapter?
    In the Peon`s setups is used a pro grade polarizer by General Dynamics, model 110098-02 (price ca. 697,- USD).

If you, guys are interested in the OMT that is seen on my pics, it`s model 110091-1 also made by General Dynamics (price ca. 820,- USD).

What will follow in Peon`s setup?
    In his case an additional adapter will be used to have an option to fit the PF feedhorn directly to the polarizer. Both parts use different dimensions.
    Then, it will be very easy to have a linear or circular setup with only 1 feedhorn without loosing any signal.

As I wrote in my very first replies, we are open to every collaboration as everybody has some knowledge.
    If we put those small pieces together, we can move forward and discover new possibilities.
    This is what I call progress in our community of satellite enthusiasts.

P.S.:
    I do not know your reasons Feedsat why you do not upload any pics of the rest of your X band setup (s-band, femi or I do that) so people can learn and try...
    I`m not judging you my friend. It is and always will be up to you what to publish. But we learn from each other.... ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat

Original von satoWhat will follow in Peon`s setup?
    In his case an additional adapter will be used to have an option to fit the PF feedhorn directly to the polarizer. Both parts use different dimensions.
    Then, it will be very easy to have a linear or circular setup with only 1 feedhorn without loosing any signal.

Correct me if I did not understand everything correctly.

After going round the waveguide (1), you are going to install a round-shaped coupler at the output of the antenna feed of the antenna with the selection of part of the linear polarization power H and V (2). Next, a very good depolarizer (3) will be connected, in which they smoothly switch to a square section from a circular waveguide, and then, by connecting the same square waveguide but rotated by an axis of 45°, two orthogonal linearly polarized signals are obtained from two circular polarization signals. These signals from the square waveguide in the last section (4) are losslessly separated by orthogonal polarizations and fed through rectangular waveguides to standard linear polarization LNBs (5).

With a waveguide technique of such high quality (which, I hope, corresponds to a high price), there will be practically no loss between devices (1) and (2), as well as between (3), (4) and (5).

And here your bright hopes of obtaining four independent polarizations without losses from one irradiator would seem to be justified ... :79:

BUT ! :36: You did not consider that the through coupler (2) is a POWER DIVIDER. Therefore, both linear polarization waves and the waves of both circular polarizations will be attenuated by 3 dB.

I am sorry, but this negates your expectations of simultaneously obtaining four independent polarizations without loss in the microwave tract. :28:

• Hello strannik,

you got me a bit wrong, but I`ll explain it to you.
    Peter is planning to make a simple adapter to make fit both sides of the polarizer to the feedhorn he already made.
    Each side of the polarizer is different size of the fitting ring, that`s why that adapter is a simple solution to solve the problem.

If there is no adapter used between them, 2 different feedhorns would be needed.
    1) First that matches waveguide of the OMT.
    2) Second that matches the size of the waveguide of the polarizer.

By Feedsat`s reports (many thanks for sharing that with us) we all know that everything in X band is in circular polarization, but in case there is some linear signal out there, this adapter will make it easy to switch from circular to linear by removing the polarizer. Then there will be feedhorn and OMT only.

I hope that the following picture will make it easier to understand.

Peon`s idea is very simple, but very effective and cost efficient.

Polarizer was designed to fit original offset feedhorn that is supplied by General Dynamics to customers. There is no Prime Focus feedhorn made by General Dynamics, only Seavey (model ESA-77C-2/A) .
    That`s why Peon decided to go his own way and to have the best of both worlds.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry I misunderstood you.
    Translation distorts the meaning beyond recognition.
    It turns out that we were not talking about the simultaneous reception of four polarizations, but about the adapter from one section of the waveguide to another.

I made my first transition from a circular to a rectangular section with my hands in 1989.

Making the transition from round to square is much easier. I hope you can handle this with your golden hands.

I wish you success in this matter. :74:

• Zitat

Original von sato
    Anyway, I`ve got a question for you femi.
    The middle part of your setup is a polarizer or an adapter?

This part is an adapter from circular to linear.
    The inside of the adapter is circular on one side and rectangular on the other. The flange type is WR112 on both sides.

With the linear feed (not in last picture), it should not be any problem.
    Maybe the circular system need a polarizer, still I dont know. First time I think to test with PTFE-plate or make a smaler AVCOMM version.

Two LNBs from each type are too expensive for me, so I cannot receive H/V or R/L at the same time and I must turn the LNBs and I dont need OMTs.

strannik:
    Its an elektric polarizer? ...another idea to adjust the signal.

I have still an old elektric polarizer from SMW for the Ku-Band in my archive.

Dish & Location

N 48.602 E 15.553

240 Irte (Ku/C)

180 Laminas mobil (all)

120 Laminas (Ku)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von femi (13. Dezember 2019 um 22:20)

• Offizieller Beitrag

As far as I know, most X band milsat is LHCP. The only reference I have seen to RHCP is a beacon listing for XTAR-LANT but I could only see the LHCP beacon on that satellite. If you wanted the RHCP weather satellites, that are above the milsat band, you might want both. However, a circular polariser to cover the whole band, 7.25-8.4GHz, is difficult to make.

I use a different feed and de-polariser for milsat and DSN bands. Both have 'squashed pipe' de-polarisers. To set up, I used a linear polarised source and squashed the pipes a little bit at a time and then rotated the whole feed until there was minimum change in the level. I set the feed to LHCP by pointing the feed alone at a milsat beacon (e.g. 7600 on the WGS sats) and nulling the signal. That gives an accurate RHCP setting which turns into LHCP on the dish.

I can't get a direct link to work but search for "Dual-function circular polarization converter for microwave/plasma processing systems" which explains the squashed pipe de-polariser

Bilder

40km East of London, UK

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von s-band (11. Januar 2020 um 15:29)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!